Technical Support Engineer (IT/Telecoms)
- Job Reference: J3043
- Date Posted: 1 June 2017
- Recruiter: Demob Job Ltd
- Website: https://www.demobjob.co.uk/
- Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire
- Salary: £25,000 to £35,000
- Sector: I.T. & Communications
- Job Type: Permanent
- Work Hours: Full Time
Our client is a well-established provider of network and telecommunications equipment to their prestigious client base including the Military, Government, Transport and Utilities industries. They are now seeking to appoint a Technical Support Engineer (IT/Telecomms) to join their existing team in Gloucester.
This presents itself as an ideal opportunity to join an established company and, although not essential, could be well suited for a person who has previously served in the Armed Forces i.e. Army (Royal Signals), Royal Navy or Royal Air Force/RAF or similar role. Candidates wishing to apply must hold relevant IT Support experience within a similar role.
Please note that due to the nature of this role, the successful candidate will be required to obtain Security Clearance, therefore candidates wishing to be considered for this role must be prepared to obtain this.
- Responsible for telephone and email support, responding to user requests for assistance and support with a wide range of SNMP based network management systems (including PDH, SDH, Ethernet and wireless-based networking equipment).
- Prepare and test telecoms equipment for client order using a range of test equipment.
- Travel to client’s site on an occasional basis.
- Ensure support calls are logged, updated and followed through to resolution.
- Carry out day to day maintenance, administration and support on all computer/server systems.
- Maintains high standards for quality and achievement in a changing environment and maintains focus to deliver results
- Ideally educated to HNC level or above in Telecommunications or another relevant discipline.
- Previous working knowledge within a similar role would be highly advantageous.
- Good understanding of Ethernet technologies including MPLS and MPLS-TP.
- Basic understanding of PDH and SDH technologies.
- Familiar with the use of testing equipment including oscilloscopes, optical power meters, light sources, frequency counters, BERT’s and multi-meters.
- Experience of SNMP management systems.
- Good customer facing skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to your own initiative.
- Ability to train other members of the team and customers.
- Experience of fault finding methodology.
- Prepared to travel; Full driving licence.
- Prepared to obtain Security Clearance.
- Good understanding of server and standalone computer operating systems (Linux / Windows) is desirable.
- Monday to Friday - 8.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
- Pool vehicle provided.
- Pension Scheme.
- 20 days holiday plus bank holidays.