Engineering Maintenance Manager
- Job Reference: J3014
- Date Posted: 10 May 2017
- Recruiter: Demob Job Ltd
- Website: https://www.demobjob.co.uk/
- Location: Crewe, Cheshire
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Engineering
- Job Type: Permanent
- Work Hours: Full Time
My client has a large production facility based in Crewe, Cheshire. They are now recruiting for an Engineering Maintenance Manager at their site. Reporting to the Works Manager the successful candidate will manage a team of maintenance engineers and will be responsible for managing total plant maintenance and production, ensuring the operation is efficient and effective at all times.
This presents itself as an ideal opportunity to join an established company and, although not essential, could be well suited for a person who has previously served in HM Armed Forces i.e. Royal Navy, British Army or Royal Air Force (RAF) with a strong proven engineering management background with strong people management skills and the ability to achieve results.
- Engineering - Create and maintain a skills matrix to enable job rotation, and hence flexibility within the work force.
- Organise and attend F M Global Insurance visits; liaison with various Insurance Inspectors and initiation of remedial action where necessary including inspection of lifting equipment, pressure vessels, LEV systems and presses and the safe keeping of those records.
- Management of all Capital Expenditure Projects, working closely with the Central Engineering department, including planning strategic developments looking up to 3 years ahead.
- Liaise with local technical skills providers to support and develop a structured training apprentice program as required.
- Ensure cost effective management of spare parts for all major items of plant.
- Leadership - Demonstrate through action, strong leadership principles.
- Promote and foster team working.
- Operate with integrity at all times by doing the right thing.
- Set SMART objectives for your team and coach/mentor them to achieve.
- Monitor performance of your team and deal promptly and effectively with any problems within your control and report those that cannot be resolved.
- Responsible for recruitment, training, discipline and labour organisation of your team in accordance with company procedures.
- Communication: Carry out and maintain the effective communication requirements of the business utilising all media formats.
- Be pro-active, promote and encourage participative communication across all functional areas.
- Make regular presentations to Engineering and others stakeholders.
- Develop and communicate the expectations of the department, and be able to communicate and drive the right behaviour in the line to meet delivery of targets.
- Responsible for ensuring that all data logged into company systems is accurate.
- Accountable for maintenance and presentation of the Engineering balanced scorecard.
- Operational Performance - Apply continuous improvement techniques like “Practical Problem Solving” and Lean methodology to drive performance improvement. These should include; Waste reduction, machine availability improvement, customer experience improvement, financial improvement through cost reduction or value creation.
- Workplace Organisation – Use established principles (5S) to ensure that the workplace is organised in the most effective manner; Ensure that all direct and indirect reports are engaged in the process, ensure that cost effective resources are provided to all teams, monitoring and challenging improvement plans to ensure progress is maintained, standardisation of owned areas at world class levels, responsible for setting, approving and maintaining standards, providing sponsorship, support and encouragement to the Team and act as a roadblock remover for them when help is required.
- Cost Control – Ensure that all Engineering based budgets are delivered on target.
- Safety and environment – To take a leading role in the Works to ensure that Safety is always treated as the number one priority and that the department operates in such a way as to minimise environmental impact.
- Educated to a minimum of HNC/HND/Degree or equivalent NVQ Level 6 qualification in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
- Demonstrable experience of leading an engineering function with a proven track record in strategic engineering, leadership, delivering effective engineering strategies, policies, processes and systems.
- Ideally will hold a Health and Safety qualification.
- Ability to add value, reduce costs and make business improvements.
- Proven project management and supplier experience.
- Experience of operating and influencing at a strategic level, and managing Capital Expenditure to budget or better.
- Proven experience of managing plant reliability.
- Proven experience of Managing a busy Maintenance Department on a day to day basis.
- £Competitive salary.
- 26 days holiday plus 8 statutory days.
- BUPA Healthcare.
- Pension scheme.
- Opportunity to join an established company.