Skipper/ Captain/ Barge Master – Southampton
Our client is currently seeking to recruit and experienced Skipper/ Captain/ Barge Master to lead a small team of deck hands responsible for operating a barge carrying out various
duties in and around Southampton Harbour.
The Skipper/ Captain/ Barge Masters responsibilities with include:
- Navigation and manoeuvring the barges safely around the South Coast Ports and anchorage’s
- Ensuring the safe operation of the barges, their safety equipment and crew in compliance with land-based safety procedures.
- Ensuring all materials transfer takes place in a safe and environmentally sound manor, minimising the risk of inadvertent release of any such material cause harm to the Marine or Land Environments.
- Coordinating and assisting with day to day maintenance of all Barge related equipment including; Machinery, pumps/hoses, communication and safety equipment.
- Liasing with customers / operations / plant personnel, to ensure customer requirements are met at all times.
- Ensuring all transfers and relevant transfer documentation is correctly completed and made available to the relevant people.
- Promptly report all quality, environmental and or health and safety related
The successful candidate will possess the following skills, qualities and training:
· The successful candidate will have a detailed knowledge of the Marine Environment with 3-5 years experience.
· Excellent communication skills and the ability to liaise directly with customers is an important quality
· Weekend or evening working is common and is compensated by having varying week days off in line with business needs - flexibility is therefore essential.
This position is paying £15 per hour for a 45 hour week with additional hours readily available.
To apply for this vacancy please send a copy of your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 02392 221 600 and ask to speak with Matt Dickens.